Originally Posted by battue
You do not see many Rem 1100 on the sporting clay circuit. The reason is most can't keep them running and they require a lot of maintenance to do so. Don't know how much you shoot a shotgun, but if you�re a high volume shooter-i.e. 10,000 rounds/year-I would not recommend the 1100. It really is a shame, because if Remington beefed up the parts and made it more durable, high volume shooters would use it. Points like a dream and the trigger can be adjusted to be excellent.

Most Benelli gas guns I have come across in sporting are lighter than the 1100, but some aftermarket parts like tube extensions can change that for little money. The Benelli is a much simpler and more reliable shotgun. They will take a beating with minimal maintenance.

By far the Beretta 391 series is the shotgun of choice among shotguns used in sporting. However IMO the Benelli is the best of the bunch. They are both semis that require minimal maintenance and will work. I know shooters that have 100,000 rounds out of both. Yes some parts have been replaced, but a Rem 1100 with that many rounds would be in pieces. I don't like it, but that is just the way it is.

Loyal Rem. 1100 users are probably not going to like this, but I shoot a lot of Sporting tournaments and it is rare to see one being used, while Beretta and Benelli are quite common.

If they made them more reliable I would use one.

The 1100 doesn�t have any parts breakage issues, it�s just that the gas system requires that you clean the gun every 500-1000 rounds and some of the newer guns don�t require as much maintenance. 1100�s do not fall to pieces. Back in the �80�s the 1100 was THE gun of choice for 3 gun competition and they didn�t fall apart then. I don�t know why the 1100 suddenly has such a bad reputation, they�re good reliable guns. They�re just not as maintenance free as the newer guns�again, parts breakage is not now, nor has ever been a problem.

The Remington 1100 is the most winning shotgun in skeet shooting history. It didn�t get that way with a reputation for falling apart.

The most common problem encountered with the 1100 is a worn magazine spring or if someone fails to clean the magazine tube. The force with which the shell is pushed into the receiver determines if the gun locks open or not. This is a common issue with the 1100, but if you understand it, it�s not a problem.

Reliability issues can all be traced back to maintenance. Fail to maintain your 1100 and it will make you pay; simple as that. Maintain your 1100 well and 10,000 rounds a year is a piece of cake, just like it was when the 1100 was the top dog.

The 1100 is a 40 year old design. You�re not seeing them at sporting clays ranges because there are better designs now (such as the Benelli and Beretta). It�s not because they�re �bad� guns or they fall apart.

Now with that all said, I believe the Beretta 391 is simply the best semi-auto shotgun available today; and they don't break the bank like a Benelli does.