Mine does not particularly like -- at least compared to other loads I've tried -- my only handload thus far of a max load of Varget in Winchester Brass with a 165 grain Rem. CL bullet (@ 1.58" for three shots on the last try). Chose it for economical practice. It does however love Federal's HE 180 grain NP load so I'm thinking I'll go to the Partition for home grown elk loads. On the other hand that rifle shoots just about any load to the same point of aim so I think I can milk a box of the Federal's for a long time for hunting purposes and just keep on working on practice stuff. Kimber recommends 165 grain and less bullets in the Montana due to the twist but my limited testing doesn't bear that out.

These groups were all shot in a row without adjusting the scope. They were the first twelve shots out of the rifle just trying some different loads as I was really interested in testing the shooter from field positions who needs MUCH more work than the gun. I'm far from the best shot in the world and was using a 4x scope off a mediocre rest so I'm sure the rifle can do better.

[Linked Image]

Edited: Had my numbers wrong!

Last edited by CCH; 09/19/08.