I grew up in Sandpoint and went to school in Moscow and have only recently (as in this spring) moved out of the state. There really are a lot of whitetails pretty much anywhere north of Riggins. Luckily there is also a lot of public land. In the Orofino/Kooskia area you could try just about anywhere in the Clearwater NF or the Selway-Bitteroot. Either if these offer plenty of public access and plenty of deer. I cant speak for the Coeur d'alene area since I've never hunted it but if you're willing to drive to Sandpoint I could tell you plenty of places to hunt. Just like further south there is plenty of public land in the Selkirks and Cabinets. Another great place to think about is anywhere around Priest Lake.

If you're used to hunting open areas of southern ID then the thick forests of north ID may be a little foreign but believe me there are plenty of nice whitetails running around in that stuff. Move slow and quietly and you'll see deer. I could probably provide some more specific info if you want it. Hopefully others chime in and give you there opinions. This forum is a great place for info like this.