Dude,

We have several rifles in 270 and 280 in my family and I have handloaded and shot plenty of factory ammo in both.

I suppose you could fill a school bus with the big game animals that I have taken with these two fine rounds,the 280 is in no way inferior to the 270 in field performance. In fact,I have had better luck getting exit wounds which I prefer with nonpremium bullets with my 280. This is perhaps due to slightly tougher contruction of 7mm component bullets which are generally designed for magnum velocity.

If a guy likes his 270,he should use it,but to kid yourself that it's better in the field on game animals than the almost identical 280 is silly.

The two cartridges are very close in almost every practical respect except ammo availability,since I handload and order factory ammo online and get it delivered to my house,that is a nonissue for me.

So......

How good is the 280? Just as good as the 270,maybe a little better in a very few subtle ways. For anything to be as good as a 270,it's gota be nearly perfect,and the 280 is just that. grin