tbear: Sorry but that rumor about O'Connor and the 270 vs 280 is a bunch of paraphrased nonsense.He used the 270 from the time it was introduced (1927?)until just before he died in 1976 on everything from javelina to Alaskan moose and grizzly,and a ton of African plains game.He had earl Milliron build a couple of 280's on Czech mauser actions late in his life and I don't remember that he ever wrote a word about killing anything with a 280.

That was Carmichael picking a caliber for a new rifle he was having built by Clayton Nelson;no doubt O'Connor endorsed the choice of caliber,but I doubt he ever said it was "better" or more flexible.In fact he thought what one would do, the other would do.

I've been hearing this fairy tale paraphrased ever since Carmichael published a story on his now-retired Nelson 280.Generally, it's related ,and mis-quoted,(stretched,if you will)by rabid 280 fans intent on demostrating the fictitious superiority of the 280 over the 270,which is a huge pile of cow manure grin

When I bump into a guy who looks me in the eye,and tells me the 280 is vastly suprior to the 270,I slump into a catatonic state and conclude I'm not thereafter interested in anything he has to say...... tired

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.