Last month I finished building my .300 Weatherby. It will be my primary elk rifle. I didn't really need it as I have killed almost 3 dozen elk with lesser calibers, but I got it because I've always wanted one. Yesterday I took it to the range and shot a 4 shot group with 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets that measured 0.76" at an average 10' velocity of 3180 fps. [Linked Image]
It's a Vanguard with a 24" barrel that I had a local gunsmith install a KDF muzzle brake. I stocked it in AA Fancy Claro walnut. It's glass and pillar bedded with the barrel channel glassed and free floated. I worked on the trigger, including polishing the trigger and sear and adjusted it to a crisp 2 1/2 pound break. I also installed a Limbsaver pad and a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. I topped it with a 4-12x Leupold. It weighs 10 pounds, but that's the same as several of my other hunting rifles that I've carried up many sheep and goat mountains and the plains of South Africa. Felt recoil is about like a .308 Win that I used to have in a M77 Ruger.

It's my new most favorite rifle.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member