Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The general purpose M4A1 carbine with a general purpose low powered variable works for me since I am not issued a crystal ball to tell me what parameters of the fight will be.

MS makes a very important point--we don't know what the fight will look like.

I am just a tax lawyer from Orygun, but even I can figure that out.

None of the guys in the NRA's "Armed Citizen" files got the fight they envisioned.

Nevertheless, I continually encounter guys who "know" what the "situation" will be.

Both ourselves and our tools must serve general, not special, purposes.

I see this specialization problem everywhere.

The survivalist who cannot swim--He is prepared for the end of the world but will can't survive a fall into 5 foot deep ditch.

The Fat Martial Artist -- He knows 43 different ways to break a board but he cannot run 1 mile if required (flash flood, chemical spill, whatever).

The "Gun Nut" who owns a different rifle for each combat scenario but has not trained with any of them.

Each one of these guys has a limited, predetermined scenario that he is training for. Sadly they odds are EXTREMELY high that real life won't meet their predictions.

That being said . . . . . . .

(sheepish grin) . . . . .

My AP4 (a DPMS M-forgery in 308) wears a 6x42 HEAVY DUPLEX Leupold. Target acquisition inside a room is best described as "sucky", but it can be done.

Its "mostly" a General Purpose AR, but first round hits at 300 yards (prone or kneeling with a rest) are pretty easy.

Good Shooting.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II