Originally Posted by laker
I am planning on buying a new rifle for elk,bison,moose, and bears. I will not be taking either of these rifles to africa. Which one would you choose for hunting these animals? why would you choose it? The 338 will be a ruger hawkeye stainless and the 375 would be a ruger hawkeye alaskan stainless.
...........To be honest, you cannot go wrong with either one of them as they are both very capable in downing the game you`re going to hunt.

As a 375 Ruger Alaskan (matte) owner myself, I find this rifle at a little over 40" in OAL to be very handy, quick handling and wonderful in the field to carry. I bought mine specifically for bison, big bears and moose. A Ruger 338 Win Mag will have a longer length and will weigh a little less than the Alaskan.

As opposed to many, I like the Alaskan`s Hogue stock and don`t mind its eraser type feel, enlarged palm swells and enlarged pistol grip. It adapts to my large hands very well. The Hogue stock I find, is quiet and also dampens some of the 375 Ruger`s recoil. Like myself, if for some reason you don`t like it, you can always change the stock later on.

You are going to have to go with your gutt feelings on this one. No wrong choice between these two wonderful cartridges.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger