I admit that the powder was accurate and I shot one of my smallest groups at 200 meters with it. It only gives trouble with a hot gun in the .44 and .45, although it was not as bad in the .45. It was so bad in the .44 that shooting at the last 200 meter ram I had 16 clicks more elevation then the first ram and still hit the ground 50 meters short.
296 cured it right now and I won Ohio state with 79 out of 80 with my SBH.
Many, many shooters were using 4227 at the time but their scores were zip, some with only 5 out of 40. None would listen that it was not them, it was the powder.
If you shoot a cold gun for a few shots or one shot at a deer, it is OK but be aware if you are working loads or shooting in hot weather, you might never find a sweet spot. What happens with your gun between -20* and over 100* in the summer?
When you keep looking your gun over to see what broke or if the barrel bent, might not a better powder cure it? Why do so many ignore experience?
Same as Lil'Gun. I tried it in a Freedom .357 and after 12 shots the barrel was a soldering iron. I set the gun on the bench and touched a piece of plastic by accident and it MELTED! Who in the world would want that heat in a fine barrel? Shall we talk about erosion? I don't like to put a welding torch down my barrels.