Buzz,

I guess it is what each and every individual wants, needs, and likes. I do my homework on everything I buy, trucks guns, you name it. I buy what I think will serve me and my needs the best. I'm a 54 year old, school teachin, Viet Nam vet. Been there, done that! I've driven and owned lots of cars and trucks in my day too. In my opinion, if there was a better truck out there to serve my needs, I'd own it. I don't pull horse trailers up over the mountains, nor do I go around the barn yard pulling stumps. My Tundra is my transportion to and from work and used to take me everywhere I go. It has plenty of power, ( and then some) to get me where I need to go and do what I need to do. The little 4.7 l, 32 valve, 245 hp V8 has all I need. It is the smoothest, quietest riding truck I've ever owned. It is a 2001, and I haven't had an oz. of trouble with it. Brakes are great and so is the paint, opposed to what others may say about that aspect of the truck. I love it. As far a different magazines testing vehicles-- I read them all. I look at the reports objectively and with an open mind. But I've subscribed to Consumer for over 15 years and I'll put what they say about the products the test against anything all the others put together say. I'm sure you can nit pick and find sources that say this and that about all the different vehicles, but I've found Consumer Report to be spot on in more cases than not. Motor Trend picked Dodge trucks as no. 1 3 years ago. There is a recall or two every month on Dodge trucks. Mopar 300 M was picked no. 1 too and Dodge Caravan too. But they aren't rated good in reliability. Terrible transmission problems they haven't been able to fix YET!

As far as rating on cars and trucks from Consumer, you need to remember one thing that is very important. The ratings (excluding the actual road tests) are turned in by the owner's surveys. 612,000 owners filling out questionairs on their vehicles. Toyota Tundra and all its other vehicles are always rated best in reliability and owner satisfaction. No accident. Like it or not, they know how to build them. Look and see Consumer's top 20 vehicles others would buy again. All Honda, NIssan, Toyota, Madza, then bottom 20 they'd never buy again-- Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Can't agrue with the facts. Facts from the car owners, not the magazine writers. This is what the people that own them and drive them say. I'm sure parts and things go wrong with other vehicles too, but check and see what the owners have said on an overall look dealing with paint and brakes. My Tundra has a great paint job, and it is 3 years old. The brakes have been problem free, with tons of pedal and braking power. Not trying to open a can of worms here, as I know everyone has their own opinion. The only thing that matters is that you like and enjoy the rig you're driving. Not here to knock other's vehicles. I have owned Nissan trucks and like them, chevy trucks and had problems, and I'm on my second Toyota. Had a 97 T100, and loved it too. Wife is on second Camry XLE and loved both of them. Before that she's had 3 nissans, and had good luck with them. Inlaws have Toyota Van and Avalon, and have good luck with them. I guess that's all that counts when it comes right down to it. I hear Tundra will come out with a 5.7 l V8 next year, so any question of power from the 245 hp/ 4.7 l will be laid to rest. But really, who needs all that power? 95% of truck owners, like me, use their trucks for daily transportation. I drive my Tundra 365 days a year in snow, mud, water and salt. It has held up great, and is still going strong. I love my Tundra. Hope you love your trucks as much as I do mine. Thanks for listening to my view and opinion. Keep on truckin, whatever kind of rid you drive.

Hunter01

Last edited by hunter01; 06/17/04.