Most folks I know do exactly that! They buy the scope at BassPro and the rifle does see the light of day about 8 times a year. Out of 16 folks I hunt with 2 of us shoot with any regularity. Then many folks I know sight in at 25 yards or less. Watched the club president sight in at 20 yards last year burned 3-4 boxes of 30-06 shells shooting into a paper plate. When he finally hit close to the mark he quit. Interestingly he was missing the plate at first, shooting over the bed of his pickup. He has some random bushnell POS mounted on a Rem 742. I just don't have varment guys luck one of my two remaining leups has gone back twice, good service from those folks though, I like them. I really want Leupold to succeed, I want to do business with them, I will for instance try to find a used Leup this year and send it back to them for examination and repair if neccessary to use for a back up scope. I am buying a new scope in a week or so the Conquest 2.5 x 8 is $399, the Leup is $429, lately my Conquests are holding zero better so despite their absolutely wonderful service whats a fellow to do??