I'm in the market for pronghorn/mule deer rifle in .25-06. Since I live in Western Washington, I'd like that rifle to have a stainless steel barreled action. You've got to trust me on this....stainless is just a lot easier around here.

Anyway, I want a 24" sporter weight barrel, as well. It seems the only standard production rifles I can find in this chambering that have SS 24" barrels are the Ruger Hawkeye All-Weather, the Remington SPS and XCR and the Browning X-Bolt.

I'm inclined to drop the XCR from the list as I don't see what it really offers over the SPS for the additional $300. I could use that money to have the SPS' trigger worked, lugs lapped, action trued and stock bedded. Ditto the Ruger.

While the Browning is more expensive than the other two, perhaps it is worth it?

I plan on loading 110gr Accubombs, 115gr and 120gr Partitions and perhaps the 100gr Ballistic Tip for speed goats. Might even try Fusion 120gr factory ammo, as well. This rifle will not be used for varmints...just pronghorn, mule deer and whitetails in hay fields.

Anyway, which would be the best bet? I'm resigned to the fact I'll probably have to spend a bit of money with a 'smith for any of these rifles. Considering that, which would you choose? Any I've left out?

Last edited by seattlesetters; 07/14/09.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?