Are you so stuck in your own little world that you are out of touch with others? Or is it that you just listen to your own thoughts...and never to anyone elses?

I have done hundreds of muzzleloader seminars around the country, and share as much as I can about muzzleloader hunting and muzzleloader performance. And at each of those seminars, I always take a few minutes to poll the 200 to 400 people attending (sometimes 4 seminars a weekend). And when the issue of scopes on muzzleloaders come up...70 to 80 percent of the hunters attending are in favor of scopes during the muzzleloader seasons.

In Wisconsin, polls conducted by the DNR have even shown that between 70 and 80 percent wanted scopes during the muzzleloader season - mostly because these hunters need a scope. Now, finally, those hunters are going to have that right.

Next door in Minnesota, at meetings conducted by the DNR, between 70 and 80 percent of muzzleloading hunters have voiced their need & want of a scope during the muzzleloader season. Unfortunately, that DNR still has its head stuck up some dark hole, and continues to deny them that right. But with things changing next door in Wisconsin...things will also change in Minnesota. (Partially thanks to a little legal intervention.)

Smokepole & Captchee, you two might live in Colorado...but I would venture to say that I hear from more Colorado muzzleloading hunters than either of you...and there is a modern uprising coming your way. More people hunt the Colorado muzzleloader seasons with a modern in-line than with a rifle of traditional design - and they're getting tired of regulations that keep their sport in the dark ages.

In 2008, I received slightly more than 15,000 muzzleloader related e-mails - and responded to every one. The number one topic/issue...scoping a muzzleloader. And for every e-mail I received squalling about how the muzzleloader seasons should remain traditional, and how scopes should never be allowed...I received a dozen or more that thought otherwise.

So hang in there boys, change is coming your way. Your side worked awfully hard to eliminate in-line rifles...and failed. Your side continues to fight better performing saboted bullets and scopes...and that too will see change as the 90-percent modern side of our sport continues to swing more and more in that direction.

I know, you claim to be both modern and traditional...but your attitudes say otherwise. Me thinks you talk out of both sides of your mouths.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING