Well since all I use is cast slugs I'll have to say.........use a cast slug, there's no bad angle's with cast, just make sure you are lined up on the vitals on the other end. I like 2 holes, one in & one out & I've had that for 45 years of using cast on big game, I've never recovered a bullet, ever! I used a Ruger 480 & a 370 gr cast slug on my moose, he went about 15 yds, I've taken many elk, bears, deer, antelope, mountain lion & african game, I don't understand all the running, I've never, not once had an animal run 100 yds when shot with a cast slug. I did have one run a long ways once when I used a 270 gr Speer Gold Dot on a cow elk but it wasn't the bullets fault it was mine, another elk bumped into her just as I made the shot & it hit her to far back, she ran maybe half a mile, laid down 3-4 times & I finished it. A bullet thats 1/2" in diameter at 1000-1200 fps thats put in the right place is unbeatable. I took 11 animals last year with revolvers, hogs, 3 deer, a bear & an elk, all with cast, none ran 10 yds, most didn't run at all!
Use that 44 with confidence on that moose.

Bear, 6' 9", Ruger 44 magnum 250 gr Keith

[Linked Image]

cow elk, Ruger 45, 260 gr Keith

[Linked Image]

Record book warthog, FA 475, 370 gr. LBT

[Linked Image]

Forkhorn muley, Ruger 357 maxi, 173 gr Keith

[Linked Image]

Mountain Lion, S&W 357, 173 gr Keith

[Linked Image]

I take it back, one animal did run 40 yds, this Wyoming buck, shot him with my Bisley 41 magnum & 230 gr cast, thats the entry hole, he was facing me. Also took 2 whitetails in Montana with the 41 & 230 gr Keith, then there were 6 hogs in Texas, all with a 41 blackhawk & 230 gr cast, you get the idea, most died in their tracks.

[Linked Image]

Dick

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 08/31/09.