The 125 and 130 grain loads are just fine for cow elk hunting at reasonable ranges (under 300 yards). I have run the 130 grain Hornady bullets up to 3,200 fps. in the .30-06 and shot deer and antelope with them. They dug deep and mushroomed perfectly. I shot some Remington 125 reduced recoil loads last weekend and they have PLENTY of zip for elk. They may not break both shoulders, but they sure as heck will break one. A rib shot will be a piece of cake. It doesn't take much at all to get through the ribs/lungs/chest. Don't over think it and you SURE don't need a 180 grain premium bullet. Premiums would be a mistake at reduced velocity. Stick with cup and core for your boy at lower velocities and you will be fine. If you are going to load for him, the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip at 2,400-2,500 will hammer even the biggest bull elk. I have shot elk with them for years in a .30-06 at 2,850 fps. They always dig deep, pile them up on the spot and are found under the skin on the off side. Great bullet for under 2,900 fps. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.