Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Jayhawk_Dan
Jason-- It is my experience that H4831SC and the older (and no longer produced I think) H4831 have exactly the same properties except for the length of the kernel. Therefore, the two powders are interchangeable by weight as used by me in my rifles.

For example, I use xx.x grains of H4831SC in a .300 Win. Mag. loading under a 180 grain Nosler Partition. This is precisely the same weight of H4831 I used years ago before Hodgdon started marketing the H4831SC.

Furthermore as I indicated above, I believe that Hodgdon's has ceased production of the older, long-kernel form of the powder that was named H4831.

Jayhawk Dan

H4831 is still available--at least when you can find powder on the shelves! cry

Donning my flameproof suit.....

I use a lot of H4831, and have burned a few pounds of H483SC, and have found in some loads in some rifles, the SC burned a bit faster--at least according to my chrono......

Casey

H 4831 is still produced... at least you can get it locally at my powder store... they seem to have no problem getting it when they put in powder orders...Powder Valley still lists it as a regular stocked item..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez