If I could hunt elk today, I'd prefer either<p>(a) my .338 RCBS (Fred Huntington's .280 RCBS necked-out), which I already have in a super-nice custom Mauser,<p>or<p>(b) my .340 Howell (a factory cartridge using "'06" brass factory-made a bit longer than '06 brass -- 2.600 instead of 2.494 inches), which I don't have a rifle for.<p>There's no need for the fatter case or the belt on a good elk cartridge. Some loads in my .340 Howell, I'm told, match the factory ballistics of the .338 Winchester Magnum -- on a slightly stretched '06 case, which reduces case length and the bolt thrust of the .338 Winchester Magnum while increasing the magazine capacity and the thickness of the steel over the chamber.<p>The Whelen is not a bad choice, especially considering the availability of factory cases and loads for those who value these points. If you prefer the .358 bullets to the .338 bullets, the Whelen is an excellent choice. Even better in some ways is my longer, more capacious, more powerful .350 Howell (like the .340 Howell, 2.600 inches case length, with body substantially longer than the .338-06 and the .35 Whelen).<p>You've a lot more good (and better) options than
I had in 1955.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.