Ken, while I'm familiar with your 340 Howell (nice... would work perfectly in a Win 70 LA sans magazine block), I'm not familiar with the 338 RCBS... is it essentially the 338-06? What are the differences?<p>With the 338-06 I had I was getting 2,700 fps (22" bbl.) with 225's and 2,550 fps with 250's and H4350.<p>I agree, fat cases and belts are "tits on a boar" useless. The 338-06 I had built to replace the 338 Win Mag ended up too heavy. I may go that route again in a more reasonable contour.<p>Best Regards,<p>Brad<p>PS... thought of a good bear story my dad related to me. In the late 40's and early 50's he drove a sight-seeing bus in Yellowstone (in between college and the Korea thing). Anyway, he was driving back to Gardiner late one night when he surprised a bear in the middle of a bridge over the Yellowstone. The bear, confused and unsure what to do, frantically looked one way, then the other in a desperate attempt to escape. Exhausting its mental capacity, it jumped over the edge to its death several hundred feet below in the Yellowstone river! Apparently not the brightest apple in the barrel... "natural selection" may work even in the "automobile age!"

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery