Originally Posted by idahostalker
im wanting to have a longer range rifle and i really like the 7mm remington mag. i would proble be getting it in the tikka t3 with the bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x42 and ill be handloading. what do you think of this combination. in your opinion would their be a better combo for around $1500.

Originally Posted by idahostalker
ill be shootin proble up to around 500 yards.

The 7mm RM is a fine cartridge, but perhaps I�m biased because it was my choice in 1982 and my only bolt gun for the next 20 years. It was � and still is � a boringly reliable elk killer.

The scope on my 7mm RM will soon be the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x with Ballistic Plex reticle that Santa brought me. You can pick them up new for about $250 on ebay at �Buy now� prices. This is my third such scope and I�ve lost track if you count my 3-9x�s. I like them.

Most any bullet will get you to 500 yards with good energy and velocity, although I prefer bonded core or monolithic or other selected premiums. These days I shoot the 140g and 160g North Fork SS and 140g Barnes TTSX and would have no qualms about elk at 500 yards with any of them. A higher BC bullet, like the 150g Scirocco II at .515 can deliver 1500fpe and 2100fps past the 650 yard line.

One of the great things about the 7mm RM is the recoil is on par with a .30-06 and bullets of the same sectional density. You can �step up� to a .300 magnum of some sort but you won�t gain much at 500 yards except more recoil.

In short, I think a 7mm RM is a pretty good choice for 500 yards and it can reach further when you want to.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.