I agree with all the other posters. I will add that I have two and even have a custom reamer.

I used to shoot the 120 nosler ballistic tip. It sure shot fast and flat at approx 3550. I killed a coues wt at just over 700 yds with it. The wind drift was excessive but with some thought to the drift I managed a one shot kill.

As time went on I moved up to bullets that had higher BCs.
If I were to buy a factory barreled rifle I would look hard at the 160 accubond, 150 TTSX or the 150 E-tip as the all around bullet.

Now if you were to go custom and were to exclusively shoot deer sized animals you could have some fun with the 180 Berger VLD. It does require a slightly faster twist than the factory tubes. I did just that and built a 14 lb specialty rifle that could shoot 1000 yd matches or be used for long range glass and shoot coues wt type hunting. The amazing part of this is the performance. 68 gr of RL-25 in that 30" barrel launches the a non moly coated 180 VLD at 3050 @ 60 degrees. With a BC of .659 its drift and retained energy are amazing.

I recently worked up some loads for a 26" LSS Rem 700 in 7 RUM. The 180 Bergers were moly coated and the rifle maxed out at 3100 fps. The powder charge was 89 gr of RL-25. That 30" 7 mag is running right with it. Amazing what 4 extra inches of barrel can do.

Get that 7 mag and have some fun!

Last edited by Azshooter; 01/03/10.