Originally Posted by bcraig
Hi, I have a Remington 700 Adl 7mm mag with 26 inch barrel. I really like the rifle as it is a less than 3 inch shooter at 300 yds. But it is godawfull heavy . I have a Leupold 6 power with a leupold dot reticle mounted in Leupold dual dovetail mounts with a Quake claw sling .I figure the rifle so set up weighs about 9 1/2 pounds give or take a couple of ounces. I would like a lighter weight rifle in 7mm rem mag caliber. Does any one know of a rifle that would weigh less than this one in that caliber ? I like the caliber because i can find the Blue box federal for less than $20.00 at our local wally worls .or can but premium ammo for $35.00 at the same place. The catridge kills deer great and has a considerably flatter pointblank range than 30-06 270 etc. in fact the catridge even with the blue box federals still outruns the 270 with premium ammo. anyway bottom line is I like the catridge but just want a considerably lighter rifle. say a pound or so lighter. I have even thought about changing the scope mounts, scope ,sling etc in an effort to reduce the weight . which would be the better route get a different rifle in same caliber or change some things around on the present rifle?not in a big hurry as our next deer season is about a year away just something to talk about and contemplate. Thanks,Craig

A 270W in a M700 LSS with a McMillan, or McMillan Edge, or Banser, or one of the B/C stocks. Heck, a model 700 with a 22 inch sporter contour barrel in any of those stocks will be lighter.

The Montana rifles. The new Ruger M77 Hawkeyes.

Lose the 26 inch barrel, replace the dovetail mounts with Weaver bases, Burris rings, or Talley mounts. A half inch Decellerator pad will lighten things up--even lighter is a flip-flop recoil pad--and they work great.

Given equal barrel length, and shooting bullets of equal Sd, there is essentially no diff between a 270 and 7mmRM.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.