Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Very cute you 270 guys. You have all of the rationalizations and Clinton-esque talking points down pat.

Think of it as the Voice Of Experience, it works better that way....... whistle

Maybe according to SAAMI, but there is no physical reason why it should, and it doesn't in my rifles.

Oh yes there is--SAMMI doesn't test and publish pressures on a whim. Think pressure spikes, pressure variation.......besides, if I chose to run a 270 ten percent over max pressure vs a 280, we'd be right back where we started.......

Why would I want to saddle a large case with a barrel length appropriate for a smaller one?

You're right, the 7mmRM needs a long barrel more than a 270--another reason I like 270's for hunting in the high country (and as I get older too cry )

So the 7RM is shooting a heavier bullet for your comparison, right?

Yes, 10-15 grains heavier--advantage to the 7mm's.

With a bit more case capacity, better bullet selection, and a slightly larger bore, it is truly the 270 Improved. grin

Versus the 7RM, the 270 has less recoil, less muzzle blast, 22 inch bbls are optimum for lightweight mountain rigs, kills elk with aplomb, and same ballistics--it is simply more......elegant.

As for the 280, well, it continues to strive mightily in the shadow of its older and wiser brother........... smile

But I have to admit I am eyeballing a NIB M700 LSS in 280 if I can get it cheap enough.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.