Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Mostly a big shrug. No doubt it's very effective, but the recoil has to be miserable even in a 10-pound rifle. I have never fired a .470 Capstick, but have shot a bunch of big-bore rounds up to a wildcat .577 that got 2500+ with a 570-grain bullet. I am not particularly recoil-sensitive but didn't like that one much, or a 9-pound .470 Nitro-Express double.

It might be the world's greatest elephant round. I don't know as I have never shot an elephant and don't plan on it, either.

Personally I am a big fan of the .416's or other "lower .40's," partly because they don't kick all that bad even in a 9-ppund rifle, and partly because they are more versatile than the .45+ rounds. If I saw a big kudu while carrying a .416 I would have no hestitation in shooting out to 250-300 yards, but with a .458 or .470 using typical 500-graiun roundnoses that would an iffy shot.

John,
Sounds like you need a .460 in your rack? There is nothing you wont shoot, with one of these. A 350gn TSX would be a good match on top with a 550gn Woodleigh under that for any surprises that come along.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.