I have reviewed 2 of them but not used them in the field. There arn't enough animals in Australia than really require that level of power.

On the animals I did shoot with the big 2, I did prefer the .460 over the 3x .416 Weatherby's and 1x .416 Remington I owned (and the .458's) as when they were maxed out, that was a light/middle coasting along load for the same weights in the .460.

When I immigrated here, I sold off all the .416's and .458's and kept the .460 because I can load it mild with a large range of bullets from 300 to 400 grains and then step up the pace for any dangerous game the rifle would be used on.

The heaviest weight I have used on game was the 550gn Woodleigh. It is quite a hammer and gels well with the long neck in the .460 case.

There are several spire point bullets under 400 grains that suffice for larger US fauna and plains game. Can send you a list of what I tried if you need it?

I had the same opinion of the 400gn Barnes X as Shoemaker, it was a great bullet and a favorite until discontinued. The 350gn would do as well for US fauna and plains game and then the heavier 450 + 500gn TSX's, the 500 A-Frame and 550gn Woodleigh depending on how tough the game is.

The 500gn Hornady (which was too soft) is cheap and shoots to the same point as the Swift A-Frame in my rifle and that bullet over 123gn of IMR 4350 reaches the original factory specs of 2700fps and all the Foot pounds you will ever need. Recoil is terrible, but makes a great photograph when someone else shoots the rifle.

As to the PH, I would seek qualification on the comments as bullets used, number of kills, angle of shots, you know the rest.

Teh advantage of the .416's is the same as the .375 over the .416's...shootability for the average rifleman. Unfortunatley, it is a factor.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.