Opinions are fine by me as long as they are based on fact and not ingnorance and/or blind predudice..

While we are speaking about opinions, let's talk about 'net ettiquette....The origional poster here asked if the gun he was looking to buy was priced too high FOR A UBERTI.

He did not ask for someone to come on the thread and schit all over Uberiti 1885s with "My Browning is better than any Uberti" posts.

As to be my being offended.. I am not. Just frustrated by your weak agrument against the Ubertis based on mostly style points.

I am glad you like your Browning - GOOD FOR YOU...My point is if you are going to look down your nose at the Ubertis, at least put on some glasses and really LOOK at (and understand) what you are schitting all over.

In the late 1990s I had the chance to buy DOZENS of guns just like yours. They were the first "Traditional Hunter" models.I bought guns from a big Browning distributor in the OKC area and at the time, they had STACKS of them to look though. They never did anything for me.

I owned Browning 1885 High walls, low walls in the regular sporter and a few BPCR models. I wanted something other than a rifle chambered for revolver cartridge with iron sights. I have a B-92 44 mag. Fully loaded it weighs only 6.25 lbs and holds 9 or 10 shots. I did not need an iron sighted low wall in the same caliber.

Around 1999,I bought one of the Miroku made Winchester marked Low walls in 22 LR. Denny Wilcox, a design engineer who worked for Browning/USRAC at the time reworked your rifle's design a bit comsetically so it would look more like an orgional low wall. I wanted a .22 LR for practice BPCR matches,so I bought one. It did not shot any better than an off the rack 10/22 so I sold it.

About 8 years later I bought the Uberti Low Wall below in 22LR. It was bought sight unseen NIB for $695. I converted it to cock on loading like the orgionals, as out of the box, the Ubertis go to half cock on loading like the old low wall Winder muskets.

The fit and finish on this gun is so good that the only thing that restocking it would improve is putting different grain in the wood.There is not a gap in the inletting you could fit a cigarette paper in. As you can see the grain in the buttstock is some nice quarter sawn sunburst figure, so why mess with that? ..

As to the wood color, they vary. Some have streaking in them more like American black and some are an even cherry red color like mine.

This gun also really shoots well. A lot of the Ubertis do. One of the very first guns imported in this model beat all comers at the 2002 BPCR Silhoutte Nationals at Raton in the 2/5 reduced scale rimfire matches the first year it was held..

The young man from texas borrowed one of these from a freind and won the whole thing. I have never forgotten that. He beat a lot of the Winchester /Miroku .22 lr guns and a WHOLE slug of high dollar custom barreled .22LR rifles made by some of the best in the business.

Ubertis are not perfect, but they are actually a good, tradtional m1885 for the $$ spent,IMHO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jim62; 02/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt