Originally Posted by BobinNH
Varmint Guy I agree!

Unless you deliberately perch on open hillsides with your buddies near the pickup,Sony's whirling for the next episode of Western Extreme,and CHOOSE to take 700 yard shots,most game is taken at well under 400 yards,even in the west....

It may not be in vogue today,when flat trajectory is treated like a social disease,but a 140 gr 7mm bullet started at 3200+ fps(whether we get it from leaning on an AI a hair,or do it rolling over easy-like from a 7RM),is a fabulously useful tool,requiring nothing for holdover to 350 yards or so on deer/antelope-type game.....

This is especially useful when the mule deer is of trophy grade,especially skittish and not offering enough time to deploy the Leica 900,because you have already been "had"....or that rut-crazed whitetail that decides to hustle across a broad field or cut line,offering about 5 seconds to "get 'er done".

Fast-moving 140 7mm's are among the best for this sort of thing; trajectory is flat,the load is hard-hitting,and does not kick you into next week...

BTW, I am no grizzly expert, but I would not hesitate to hunt grizzly-invested elk country with a properly-loaded big 7; it has been done many times before... smile

+1
I have a preference for shooting heavier for caliber bullets and prefer the 175 grainers most of all in this caliber. All my 7mm RM mags have 26" tubes. As One Minute pointed out, if the throat is long enough to seat the bullet out to where the base of the bullet is flush to the bottom of the case neck and the magazine length is long enough, the personality of the 7 mm Remington changes considerably. You are starting to think about the 7mm Mashburn now!
JMHO

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member