Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Day in and day out the 7RM is faster across the board if both are operated at the same pressures....in general 7RM will move a 160 gr bullet at the same velocities a 280 will move a 140,as a general rule.And a 7RM will outrun the 280 pretty easily with the same bullet weight.By how much depneds on how hot you choose to load each catridge, what barrel you are running, etc etc.

I always looked at the 280 much the same as a 270,a cartridge for a light and lively mountain rifle weighing in the 7-7.5 pound range with a 22" barrel;and the 7 mag weighing a bit more with a 24"+ tube. If I'm gonna lug a 24" tube I would just as soon have the magnum chambering and take advantage of the additional powder capacity.

Differences in recoil between them are pretty moot to me,as even a heavily loaded 7RM's recoil is trifling....this has always been one of the cartridges greatest virtues.

I'm a big fan of the 280 and the short action version of the 280AI.(7SAUM) That said, it's hard to argue with any of what Bob said. I don't care to "lean" on anything - if I truly want 7mag performance, I'm using the 7mag. smile

I totally agree with what is being mentioned here. I'm also a huge 280 fan, but I also see it as the little brother to the 7RM.

If you insist on really stoking the .280, you are really better off picking up a 7RM with a 24" pipe and having at it.

As a matter of fact, I'm doing that very thing and my Win featherweight .280 is in the middle of becoming even lighter and more handy. Then, I'll pick up a 7 mag of my choice..

If you are hunting in area's where shooting 300 to 400+ yards or so might be more than occasional, I'm opting for the 7RM every time...and they don't have to be heavy.

Recoil? The ones I have shot feel less than a stoked up 30-06.

CLB

Last edited by CLB; 03/30/10.