Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Skywalker: I own and Hunt with both calibers (the 280 Remington and the 7mm Remington Magnum) and have for MANY years!
I have never personally had anything to do with a 280 Remington Ackley Improved.
NO, I can't make my 280 Remington do what my 7mm Remington Magnum does.
Normally I don't Hunt Elk and Black Bear with my 280 Remington BUT in the past I have killed BOTH of them with the 280 Remington!
A lot of Moose country (even here in SW Montana!) IS Grizzly country!
For Moose (and MAYBE for Grizz!) the 7mm Remington Magnum should be your choice.
I have even Hunted Antelope with my 7mm Remington Magnum and lighter bullets - its a fine Antelope round, shooting FAST and flat!
Expand your horizons and consider the flatter trajectory of the 7mm Remington Magnum for when you go Caribou Hunting, Bighorn Sheep Hunting, Mt. Goat Hunting and the aforementioned Antelope!
Learn to deal with the somewhat increased recoil and the somewhat decreased barrel life of the 7mm Remington Magnum.
I did.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Sorry for digging this out, but what do you exactly mean with decreased barrel life of the 7mm Remington Magnum. When does it really matter?

I recently aquired a Rem 700 BDL in 7 mm Remington Magnum and would like to know more about my new hunting buddy.

How can I avoid the decreased barrel life you are talking about?

Elmer Keith