I really like the .338 caliber for bigger game but I just do not see these so called "new comer's" to the .338 line up going much further down the road as time goes by us. As was mentioned the .338 Win mag and .340 Wby are the real deal, in a magnum caliber on big game such as elk, moose and big bears etc. You can find ammo for the .338 Winchester magnum out West at most mom & pop stores, those others you will not.

Yes, I agree the .300 Win mag is one heck of a long range caliber and is within most experienced hunters recoil threshold. The .338 Win mag and .340-Wby are a little beyound that but there are certainly things to tame that recoil down, such as a PAST RECOIL PAD. I carried a .300 Win mag for over 20 years and NEVER had a shot out of that .300 mag smack a bull elk and show the visual response like the .338 Win mag with a 250 grain bullet. I just can't swallow all these so called new caliber FADS the industry has thrown at the shooting and hunting public in the last few years. Stick with what has a good track record and one you can find ammo for in a pinch ok.

Last edited by Tonk; 02/15/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN