Chris,

Krupp manufactures steel as they have for 400 years. Independent barrel makers create the barrels from Krupp steel. Sig and Lothar Walther/de use Krupp steel to make their barrels.

"Krupp is the name of a prominent, 400 year-old German family from Essen, famous for their steel production and armament manufacture. The family business, known as Friedrich Krupp AG in modern times, merged with Thyssen in 1999 to create ThyssenKrupp AG, a large industrial conglomerate."

Suhl and Essen are cities in Germany that have or had many small custom gunsmiths. Similar to Ferlach in Austria. This particular gunsmith is unknown to me but that's not saying anything. There are thousands of small gunsmiths in the U.S. that are unknown outside of their own town. But this certainly doesn't diminish either the quality or the value as far as you the owner is concerned. If you could post some more pictures of the additional markings and some good overall shots, it would be appreciated.

Someone better with German will have to solve the nomenclature for the steel. My electronic translator says "course" (lauf) but I think that it might mean something along the lines of "chrome-moly".

Regards.

I just saw the second photo and I would bet that 9.3Guy is right, it could be a guild gun. The butterknife bolt handle and the double triggers make this even more special to Mauser lovers. Even the wood looks good as far as I can tell from the photo.

Last edited by nononsense; 12/07/04.