Chris,

The lock on mine is for the bolt but I suppose that there are other variations.

I just checked Speed since I've been out all day. I remembered that he showed a picture of a 3/4 stock Mauser that I thought was called the African. He states that it is named the "Special African Model" which is also referenced as the "Normal Hunting Rifle Type L", the 'L' being for Lang - long barreled, 3/4 stock. It was first released in 1905. The barrel is stated as being 27.6" long with 2 barrel bands holding it into the stock. These are inside the stock not around the outside of the stock. I don't see the barrel bands in your photos but I can't be sure. The photos in Speed's book show a round bolt instead of the butterknife but that can be a variation by the gunsmith. His photos look like your rifle...

The hesitation to add a price might stem from the fact that Speed says that these are rare... if they are original. I suggest that you find an absolutely verifiable Mauser expert and get his or her opinion face to face.

Thank you for posting the additional photos! I am, like 9.3guy, jealous beyond words. This is a very nice rifle.

Regards.

Edit to add picture URL:

Take a look at these photos. They don't show barrel bands either but the rifle was made by August Schuler, the gunsmith that is credited with the 6.5x68S and the 8x68S. Note the barrel is octagon but only 26" long.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/r2511.htm

Last edited by nononsense; 12/09/04.