I guess I take the middle road here. I have two .45-70's. My first was part of the intial run Marlin made in 1972. Straight grip and a microgroove barrel. The other is a Number 1 purchased in 1978. I have taken deer and hogs with both. There is no doubt that at the short ranges I used them they were wickedly effective. I have even taken a few woodchucks with the Number 1 -- a few at around 200 yards.I am sure that if you knew where to hold and practiced a bit you could stretch the ranges considerably. Neither of my rifles are set up for long range shooting; I just sight them in a little high at 100 yards and I am pretty much on the money at 150 or a little less. At woods ranges that is fine. A few years ago I spent an afternoon battering a 300 yard plate with a trapdoor Springlield.You could wind your watch and cash your paycheck waiting for the sound of those bullets impacting the target. A 500 grain bullet makes quite a fuss when it arrives on scene.

That said, even though they will toss a bullet one hell of a long way with amazing accuracy, I don't consider the cartridge a long range affair. No question that it can be done. And if it is your thing then be my guest. I am all for it, although it strikes me a slightly incongruous to crank up a ladder sight on a nineteenth century rifle to hit something you have lasered with a twenty-first century rangefinder. Hey, but if that's your thing....

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.