I remember Elmer Keith extolling the virtues of the Ruger No. 1S back in the early '70s. Believe he said one guide school or service had its employees all packing Ruger Super Blackhawks and Ruger No. 1S .45/70?

I have a No 1H in .375 that I killed a couple of deer with last season I'd love to trade for a 1S in .45/70.

As far as long range shots, Jeff Quinn had a piece on his e-zine awhile back about having a Leupold custom turret installed on a Scout Scope with his loads dope.

I still ain't taken my ported GG to my friend to have it bobbed, but it's coming. A .45/70 GG would make an excellent home defense weapon; just put a light on it. People think a 230 gr. JRN or HP .451 pill is the stuff, but a 300 JHP at 1,850 would probably smack a bit harder.

I may scope the bobbed GG it if I don't get a 1S. Have had Ashley GRs on it since 2000, never used the factory sights.

Kinda dig the idea of a Cowboy with a ladder sight, if it would work with my aging eyes. I find the Cowboy better balanced to my hands than the GG.

sharpsguy, any reason for a ladder vs. a tang aperture?

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 03/20/10.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]