JJ's experiences on black bears was with all sorts of cartriages and loads. His expereinces with the .44 Magnum, which he has also used alot for bear contol work, was what I was refering to. The SWC and wide flat point, super heavy lead bullets were no where near as fast killers when compared to the better jacketed rds. He stated once that even the 180 gr. HP loads worked adequately on body hits with black bears.
I suspect your claim that wide flat points work better than the classic SWC's is based on some sort of bullet testing. Mine isn't. It''s based on killing stuff with both full wadcutters and mild loaded SWC's. No difference in the various wound channels or how fast they kill was apparent. therefore the difference is really only apparent in some sort of test medium.
It all comes down to which trade off you want. More penetration or a wider wound channel. You trade one for the other. But the standard load of a 250 gr. cast lead bullet at 1150-1200 fps. has long had the rep for penetrating anything anybody needs to kill. That was established long before the .44 Magnum was introduced. In fact, the big comnplaint about those loads were that while they killed, they didn't kill very quickly. Again, penetration at the cost of wound channel size. Your pick. E