We just had the thread about what I should do, build my FN husqvarna or buy a Model 70. Well I had offered that FN along time ago to a friend that didn't have his own rifle and had actually forgot I offered it. He showed up today with the money and he was so happy to have his own rifle (he's had a scope for 4 years) I decided to follow through and sell it to him.

I loved that mauser and I have decided to build one but I know little to nothing about mauser actions. I am looking for the best one thats pretty common to find. I would like to keep the action around 5-6 hundred. This is where it gets complicated.

Fn
Husqvarna
Model 96
Model 98
Santa Barbra (sp)
Brno
VZ24
CZ
Mark X
And the list goes on and on and on and on

My head is spining at the options. I would like to get my money in with the best I can but have no idea what that would be.

What should I be on the look out for? Ones to stay away from? I wanted to do a .30-06 but have decided that being a mauser I will go 7x57 or .300 H&H depending on what action and bottom metal I can find.

So what should be on my shopping list? I am not in a hurry so I don't mind waiting for the right one.

Thanks you guys

Jason

Things that are important to me
Smooth bolt
Good gas handling abilities
Strong action

I know the smooth bolt is something I could feel for myself but I will likely be buying over the net so handling the rifle is not an option.

Last edited by Jayph; 04/08/10.

If Iam not hunting, Iam thinking about hunting.