I am a Mauser nut (you can tell from my screen name...) but I think building a precision shooter on Mauser basis may not be cost effective any more. One thing not mentioned by previous posts is long lock time and high inertia of the firing pin. The other issue is the availability of quality trigger. I mean, a trigger comparable to jewel or Savage Shooter's Supply delightful 10oz trigger. But depending on what you want the gun for, it may or may not be a problem. The bottom line is, with all monies spent on accuryzing, new trigger, firing pin asembly, making cycling smoother etc. etc. you may be better off buying modern commercial action or whole rifle. Small example: A friend of mine decided to have a build of 6.5x55mm long range rig on FN basis (he already had the action). After all blueprinting surgery and rebluing, with Lilja barrel and very nice wood, it costed him over $1200. About the same time his gun was done, I bought all factory Tikka off GB in the same caliber, just under $600. Quite honestly, Tikka still has the smoothest action and both guns shoot with exact same accuracy.