Originally Posted by idahostalker
Befor i start and people start bashing, im going to say that im just curiouse about this and if i were to hunt cape buffaloe i would use a bigger gun than a 338.

How do you think a 338 win mag will do against a cape buffaloe? I know that a 375 is a pretty popular gun for cape buffaloe with barnes TSX and solids, but i was looking at barnes bullet selection and the weight of the 338 and 375 and theirs not a huge difference. You can go clear up to a 250 grain in both solids and TSX for the 338 and in the 375 you can go up to 300 grains. I was also looking at the Swift A-Frames and they go clear up to 275 grains in the 338. I know that the 375 will have far more punch than the 338 but it seems like the 338 has the potential. What do you think?

I was a back up on a hunt for a NW Red Buffalo in Cameroon, and I had a .338 WM with Failsafe bullets in my hands at the time. A frontal shot in the chest was taken with a .375 H & H with a 270 g solid that had no apparent effect other than to send the bull running across an open area for the long grass. I hit him with a 250 g Failsafe with a high shoulder shot and put him down on the spot. Now the Red buff aren't quite as big as the Southern Cape buff, but they are big enough for me to say a .338 will work, but it is not my first choice.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo