Originally Posted by prredog

I've never wanted to use any lube on my scale because of contamination to the powder, no matter how remote that may be, maybe I need to change my process there, the reason why I may think its not as accurate, 2 years ago I bought a chronograph, a .270 that was once a constant 7/8 inch grouper had gone to the crapper with a load that was always a constant performer. It was now shooting 1 3/8 inch groups. The new load just didn't feel right, like it was to weak. My new chronograph tells me I'm only getting 2920fps. which is off from the book 3000fps.+. I live with it because it still is a proven game killer. So fast forward to now, I'm working on a 7mm Rem. Mag. load and again, not getting close to manual performance. So, I'm questioning my scale as to its accuracy. Just trying to cover all the bases. Most of my reloading gear is 20+ years old. Just wondering if others update there equipment from time to time.

I just reread this post. Two different issues with two different rifles.

The .270 could have accuracy problems with the rifle itself. Bedding? Copper fouling? Loose mounts and on and on. If it were only the powder charge or the load then a little more load development would quicky find out if this were the problem. Are you using the exact same components in the new load or better yet the exact same loads that shot well?

The 7mm rem mag not reaching "manual performance" is not uncommon. Each rifle is different on what speeds are obtainable.

I think that trying to trace two different problems to one common cause is probably not the answer.

fish head