Originally Posted by Jimmy_Joe
Originally Posted by prredog
I'm starting to wonder if a scale I started with back in the 80's, a RCBS 5-10 is measuring as accurately as it used to. I see you can buy a weight set that will tell you whether your scale is accurate or not but if its not, then you just spent $30 or more for the cost of that information. Do they wear out over time? I keep mine in a cabinet when not in use but it still accumulates dust that I brush off before using. I weigh every load so it has literally 1000's of loads to account for. Are these new digital scales worth the money or are the old beam scales still the way to go. Looking for knowledge, thanks. Mike
I personally believe a mechanical scale is more reliable than a digital, I have a Lyman DPS 1200 II and I check it with my Dad's old RCBS, they're both accurate but the digital is way more sensitive and prone to mistakes than the RCBS. Your problem sounds more like copper fouling to me, you should check out your barrel. What do you use for a bore cleaning solvent?

Wipe out bore cleaner and occasionally run some Barnes CR10 behind that just to make sure the bore is getting clean. As of yet, the wipe out seems to be doing a great job.