In my 40 years of loading I have had one Ohaus 10-10 need service. I sent it back and it was replaced with a new one. I know it was new as it was a different shade of light brown and the plastic cover had no scratches at all. Mine had been packed up so many times and taken to the range it was mostly scratches. I also have a Redding scale that is mirror image of the old Ohaus 505 I bought while the 10-10 was off at the factory in 1982. I had the good fortune about 1985 to go to a gunshop clearance and got an Ohaus (RCBS 304) for $40.00 in the box new. I keep all of them covered up all the time except when in use, to keep dust out of them. I have two sets of check weights, one very old set that has very small weights that go down to .1 of a grain for a total of 50 grains and a Lyman weight set that is a few years old. I always check my scales before I start loading, that is just the way I was taught in 1968 by one of my Dad's friends that use to take me hunting when Dad was away working. Four or five years ago I bought an electronic powder dispenser/scale and I always check it with a balance beam scale, just as I have always checked my Redding micrometer powder measure. Even without electric power I can turn out perfect loads.
Good shooting,
Marcus.