Originally Posted by Gnumonic
Howdy all,

For my upcoming birthday, one of my affluent gun-loving relatives offered to buy me a big bore in order that I might some day fulfill a long held dream of getting to Africa (not that likely in the immediate future) or Alaska (more likely) for a dangerous game hunt. I've decided on a 375 caliber, but need some help picking a gun.

For starters, he has insisted (and if I plan on going to Alaska I'd tend to agree) that the gun be stainless and synthetic. While I'd much prefer a blued barrel wooden rifle, I'm not going to say no to an essentially free rifle based on that. He's also insisted that it be controlled round feed, and again, I'm not about to disagree with that - I've always been fond of Mauser actions anyway. The price range that I'm working with is around $3000 for the gun, and whatever for the scope (I don't anticipate that I'll need a particularly pricey scope). I would prefer that, if possible, the rifle have express sights.

The problem is, I'm just not sure what a good choice is in this price range. I'd be happy with either .375 Ruger or H&H, so the Ruger M77 Alaskan seems like the most obvious choice, but I'd really like a longer barrel, a Pachmayer decelerator (or equivalent), and folding-leaf express sights. I was looking at H-S Precision rifles as well, and they seem to be of outstanding quality, but I don't know that much about them (are they controlled round feed?).

Anyway, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!
...................A $3000.00 budget will simply buy you a fancier rifle with the same capabilities as one that is much less expensive.

As a 375 Ruger Alaskan (matte, but available in stainless) owner, I will vouch that this is possibly the best buy for the buck in a 375 caliber.

In the performance category, don`t under-estimate the Ruger Alaskan`s 20" barrel. Depending on the rifle, right on par with a 24" and 25" tubed 375 H&H. A handier, easier carrying, faster and more manuverable, 4" to 6" shorter rifle with the same ballistics.

From the box, extremely accurate and with my more accurate reloads, moas and a little less. They are an extremely durable go anywhere in the world and in any weather rifle. It`s not a pretty rifle, but instead is a no-nonsense, functional rifle, that can do anything that any $3000 custom 375 rifle can do. It is a rifle that you won`t need to baby in the field either.

If the bulkier Hogue stock is not to your liking (designed for larger hands), then it can always be swapped out.

Save your money and use the difference towards other things.

A lighter and more compact 1.5-5x20 VX111 sits atop my Alaskan!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger