Originally Posted by tx270
Oh, there are plenty of decent bucks on public land in New Mexico, you just actually have to get out of the truck and walk more than a 1/4 mile from it to find them.

I don't mean anything towards you thechamp, just making a general statement about why most people don't think decent bucks exist on public land. I do agree with you I'd like to see NM go to a 3pt. per side minimum like Co has.

Hope you get a good buck on your hunt!

Well I would agree that there are some but the areas we've been hunting don't allow for a half cripple to climb 1000-1500' mountains and walk 2-5 miles back to get them. I used to see some very nice bucks and deer in Curtis canyon, off of 130 southeast of Cloudcroft. There are some big mountains in there as well as some areas that are walkable. 3 years ago I saw 5 bucks in there at one time. 3 were nice but too far off. Other 2 were too small. Last year I scouted the same canyon for several days without seeing a buck period. Also saw one doe where we used to see quite a few deer. That is a huge public area and didn't even appear to be over hunted this time. I guess the natives already knew there wasn't much to hunt. The bucks we did see last year were all on private and acted as if they knew they were safe. Getting up on one of those mountains and then walking miles to kill and pack out a mule deer isn't quite my idea of a good time. I for one can't do that any more and making other people do it for me sucks too. A ruptured disk and a couple of bad knees make things look way different than they used to.