I have a 9.3x62 and love it. I built it specifically to be an irons-only classic rifle to swat Moose, Bear or Kudu should I be lucky enough to stalk in nice and close. I'm also hoping to wangle a tag for Wood Bison this year and the 9.3 will figure highly on the list of rifles to take along. My current load is 62 grains of RL15 with 286gr Norma RNs that run just around 2400 fps. Phil also has a beauty little 9.3x62 that runs 7lbs ready to hunt so you could certainly step down in weight with very similar performance.

I also used a 375 Ruger this year in Zimbabwe and, despite some feeding issues, the cartridge worked very nicely, dropping a nice buffalo bull at a hair over 100 yards with a single shot through the shoulder. I also took other sundry trophies with it and it performed quite nicely. Though I doubt I would have noticed a difference were I using the Old Man's 375 H&H, which we planned to take with us. Now, with regard to Gatehouse, I happen to know him and would believe the numbers he's telling us. That said, I believe his 375 Ruger has been "Improved" which could be adding a few grains more powder. He certainly is a disciple of "The New King", McSwirley and all but I'm not convinced it's anything but a H&H on a diet.

All things being equal I prefer the 416s over the 375s. Woudl have used ag not only a 416 Remington but a M700 to boot!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916