The 9,3X64 Brenneke is a great old round, no arguing that. But...it's not all that common; try to find loaded ammo in a hurry or a pinch; brass is extremely expensive and not always readily available.

It's a great plains game round that can take medium-heavy game like buffalo and lion. With 250's it shoots fast and flat.

Along came one of the best designed rounds now available, the 375 Ruger. It does everything the 9,3X64 does and is growing in popularity due to it's own merits and the fact that relatively inexpensive very nice rifles in 375 Ruger have been offered. The Hawkeye African is about a perfect combination of trim, fast handling, properly sight equipped, and hard hitting attributes ever mass produced. It doesn't cost a month's salary, either.

All this makes the 375 Ruger round the better choice, since it has a bright future, well earned. Both do the same thing, but the Ruger round is a commercial success, while the 9,3X64 Brenneke is obsolescent and inordinately expensive. I've owned and used both and can't tell two beans worth of practical difference in performance.

All that being said I like my Hawkeye African 9,3X62 better. None of these rounds, 9,3X62, 9,3X64, and 375 Ruger, are stoppers by any stretch. It comes down to picking your personal poison and going out and kill with it.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”