Originally Posted by johnw
if i went to an autoloader, it'd be for recoil reduction with slugs... does the benelli action have any recoil reduction attributes???

The action itself does not, however, the Comfortech stock system helps recoil reduction a good bit.

I used an 1100 for thirty some years (the same one). Then I got a Benelli M2. At first I thought it kicked just a hair more but after thousands of rounds I think it kicks just a bit less than the 1100.

I'll qualify that by saying all I shoot is the lightest field loads. Crank it up to slugs or waterfowl loads and I can't say for certain it would work the same.

Regarding the original question, after I got the M2 the 1100 went into the safe only to be taken out for nostalgia's sake. The M2 feels so much lighter I don't know how I humped that 1100 al those years.

As far as function, frankly I've had many more jams with the M2 but I'm pretty sure that comes down to the ammo I was using at the time.

People freak about the O-Ring on the 1100 but it seems like a non-issue to me. My 1100 (originally my Dad's) is from 1964 or '65 and the O-Ring has been changed once and that was only because I felt like it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Remington anything today. I sincerely doubt they'll still be in business in ten years. Amongst their other screw-ups, they haven't been able to replace the 1100/11-87 design which has been shedding market share to the B-guns for years. The 105 Cti was a fiasco, and now the Versmax has been recalled before the guns were barely out of the factory.

Even people who want Big Green to succeed admit the quality has degraded in recent years.