Originally Posted by Fishkilla
Originally Posted by JaredMiller
Originally Posted by Fishkilla
It makes a difference, sacrificing strentgh for weight savings is a step in the wrong direction for a hunting pack. I suspected the lack of a 6500 meant the load hauling will be compromised slightly. 87lbs is good but what about 100+ or 125 over 15-20 miles and awkward like 60% strapped externally to your camp. I dont think I can get 7-10days + game into 5200 anyway and am sure I wont be able to justify the premium for a pack I can only use for 3-6 day hunts based on how my hunts seem to go. I am a little skeptical but hopeful too, nice to see someone shaving away everything but the bag and a few straps. I just dont think this is the UL Hunt pack for me yet. Cant wait to see one though.....ahem.....Alaska_Lanche, im talking to you:) Looks like a sweet packrafting setup!

I will be watching for those used G2 LHG's to hit the classifieds. smile

Likely these werent meant to replace LHG's but fill a gap somewhere else and jump into the UL market, im sure they will be a hit and depending on where they are priced I might end up with one in my gear pile, time will tell.

I'm not so sure that is the reason they didn't come out with a 6500. The Elk Reaper posted on Bowsite, and maybe here as well, that he loaded 150 lbs. in it several times and that he even took a spill and rolled down the hill before a log stopped him and that the pack held up fine. At 6' 170lbs., that is about 50lbs. more than I could manage regardless of the packs volume. I'm thinking that with this pack being geared toward the ultralight backpack hunter that they figured 5200 c.i.'s of space is sufficient for a week or more in the back country for most guys that are willing to give this pack a shot. Likely because they have already minimized the weight and bulk of all their other gear making a 6500 unnecessary thus allowing them to keep the pack at 5200 c.i.'s to save a few more ounces and keep a slighter slimmer profile. Of course I'm just speculating purely for conversation.

My kit is pretty dialed so I do understand how it works, I would be hard pressed to get much smaller. Im not ruling it out but it probably wont be a hunting pack I would use a lot. Short hunts yes, but I just dont do that many short hunts. I like the one sack concept no extra bs. With a little forethought and organization it is easy. The thing with pods is they add weight and snag spots, no big deal for some but I like to buy a bag and use it, I dont want to pay for more [bleep] to hang off of it. How much does it weigh by the time I get it to 6500? How much is the difference in weight savings compared to my G1 now? Which hauls a load better?

These are the things Im weighing out, not trying to bash the pack. I love the idea and could put one to use in several different scenarios. I had some questions while the testers were available and now they are answered. I now have a better idea how I could use it.

Trust me, I want this pack to carry like my older Kifaru pack, more than you know.

You know one thing I didn't take into consideration in my last post was the fact that you're in Alaska. I'm sure that simple fact would make your whole kit much different from mine which throws my whole theory right out the window. I'm down here in Southern California which might as well be Disneyland compared to Alaska. All I have to worry about is carrying enough water and the only scary things in the woods are mountain lions and tweakers. You've got a lot more variables (i.e. weather, freaking grizzly bears, etc.) so I can understand your desire for a straight 6500 c.i. pack without having to deal with additional pods. I bet if this line takes off, like I'm sure it will, they'll probably come out with at least one additional size but from the reviews so far it sounds like they wont have to do anything to beef up the frame cause 150 lbs. in 5200 c.i. is still 150 lbs.

Out of curiosity, how long are your typical hunts? (days and miles)

Also is there any chance that you've ever posted up your gear list that you might have a link to? It would be cool to compare.