Originally Posted by Polska
Originally Posted by 458Win
I think the old gunfighter's axiom of "speed is fine but accuracy is final" is appropriate here. If facing charging bears was the norm then maybe (?) an electronic sight would be better. But it is not. The usual scenerio is that you need to place a bullet correctly at some distance, often through brush where a bit of power helps. For those circumstances I prefer a scope.

I agree with you there, but what about a situation where a bear walks buy close up 50 yards or less and your zoom is left on 4 power or even 2 power... it's not gonna be as quick or accurate as a dot.

I've guided hundreds of hunters and lost track of how many insisted on keeping their scopes turned up to the highest power. Even though I tell each of them to keep them turned down to the lowest power. If you bump into DG at close range there is no time to turn the power down but if it is far enough that you need to turn the power up you usually have plenty of time.
Anybody who might "accidently" be carrying his scope at a higher power will probably have failed to turn his red dot on when he needs it or have left it on and the battery will be dead.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.