Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Polska
Wondering if there is a big difference in stopping power between the two. The reason i'm asking is I'm considering buying a 416 ruger, but I also like the .458 win mag because of more ammo availability and more bullet choices for reloading.. however the .416 ruger has flatter trajectory and probably better penetration because it is a smaller caliber... am I right or wrong? But the .458 seems like it would be better close up stopper. The problem with the .458 is that I can't seem to find a rifle under $1000 that is synthetic and stainless steel with express sights with a short barrel. The .416 ruger is nice because I can get the ruger m77 hawkeye alaskan... which is a nice gun and for $800 it's affordable.
.............First! Aside from the cartridge, the rifle you get is also very important. Remember the thread you began in the African section about a 416 Ruger Alaskan? Well, unless you cut the barrel down to 20" and maybe do some other work to lighten things up a little bit, you generally won`t find a rifle like a Ruger Alaskan that is chambered in a 458 Win Mag. A 458 Win rifle will be heavier, less handy, less manuverable and longer than the 416 Ruger Alaskan, and will surely cost you more. If you reload, 416 Ruger brass to my knowledge, is no problem to get. Midway has some listed there now.

Secondly! Anything you can successfully hunt with a 458 Win, will apply to the 416 Ruger. When on a guided African DG hunt, or on a NA guided DG hunt, there is always a back up rifle/rifles at the ready. It won`t matter if your carrying a 600 Nitro Express.

Thirdly! If the cost matters to you, as you mention above, the 416 Ruger Alaskan is an excellent compromise.

The 416 Ruger Alaskan sells for an excellent price, will stop any game on earth, has a shorter OAL, is handier with its 20" barrel, is flatter shooting, can double as a plains game rifle using lighter bullets, and imo regardless of 416 bullet selection or the lack of it, it is a more versatile cartridge in the field than is the 458 Win Mag.

The 458 Win is at its best as a shorter ranged DG stopper. The 416 Ruger won`t be all that far behind in that dept, while adding more range versatilty.

I think the .416 is the right gun for me... in certain cases the .416 is better because it has better penetration

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna