I probably just got creamed with an impulse purchase.

I stopped at the local gun store and I noted that they had a mauser that was sporterized with a bent bolt, a trimmed and recrowned barrel, metal floor plate, a decent trigger and a very nice finished yet uncheckered Fajen walnut stock that must be from the late 50s/Early 60s style. It has a Williams external rear and a hooded front sight.

It is a GEW98K with an obendorf stamp marked 1917 with matching serial numbers of 591. It points well and the barrel appears to be in very great shape. It looks to be chambered in 8X57.

The main owner who knows rifles wasn't in today and the junior partner who is a nice guy but kind of bumbles around bought it from some young yuppie-who got it from his grandfather-wanted to buy Christmas presents and they called it in and it was clear. They bought it for 200 and wanted 250. I looked it over and it seemed very well intentioned. Maybe its a turd but its a pretty nice looking sporter and I don't have a 8X57 so I put it on layaway and will pay the rest of the 250 dollars next week.

The stock while very nice has a rosewood forend tip and a couple of hunting gouges. It is above 90% NRA condition for the stock and much higher for metal and bore. It doesn't look like it has been shot much at all.

I guess I can mess around with it during Xmas break.

I have bought three mausers in the last year so either I am really getting sick or maybe I am just starting to be able to reason at the age of 42.

I am putting it here because it isn't a 700 and it isn't a kimber so I probably wouldn't get much for info on it in hunting rifles. However, most of the old coots that hang around in this section seem to know their stuff.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Last edited by kaboku68; 12/15/10.