I bought a wood-stocked commercial mauser (don't know which) some years back at a show in WA state, from gunsmith Chapman out of Ferndale. He rebarreled it in 30-06 for a guy who never picked it up. Shilen CM barrel. Figured it was a good buy at $375. Put it in a midway plastic stock that I rasped about a pound of plastic off of to make it somewhat usable. Heavy - 8.5 lbs scoped, even with the non-steel bottom metal. But, it has fired only three shots in anger, and each resulted in a nice muley.

Last evening I finished chipping about a pound of steelbed or marine-tex out of the barrel channel of a bansner I bought for it off this board, hogged out the old bedding, and rebedded it. It now sits light and pretty at 7.5 lbs, sans some fluffy fill I need to bed the barrel channel with to fill the big gap.

I was doing this rebed work in preparation to sell it, seeing as I'm moving everything in the faux ti direction. After spending some time on it, I know that I can't. The only thing left I'd like for it is some steel bottom metal, as the trigger guard is a bit thin to be aluminum/pot.

I can relate.